Explore the Ruhr district
Get to know the leisure facilities and the cultural scene in the trade fair city of Essen and the Ruhr Metropolis.
We are right in the centre of the action surrounded by all sorts of things to see and do, whether relaxing outdoors, going to the theatre or musicals, visiting various museums and interesting monuments of industrial heritage, going shopping or enjoying recreational sports – the Hotel Franz is the perfect base from which to go exploring!
The city centre of Essen is a few minutes away by public transport, as is the popular trendy district of Essen-Rüttenscheid and the "Rü" boulevard with its street cafés, shops, restaurants and bars. Ask at our reception desk for information about the bus and railway services.
These are some of the main places to visit in our region:
- Zollverein World Heritage Site
- Museum Folkwang
- Ruhr Museum
- Aalto-Theater (opera, ballett) and Grillo-Theater (plays)
- Philharmonie Essen concert hall
- Villa Hügel
- Baldeneysee lake
- GOP Varieté variety theatre
- Colosseum Theater (musicals) Essen
- Messe Essen exhebition centre / Grugahalle venue
- Shopping centre Limbecker Platz
Here is the calendar of events for the city of Essen